PSPRadio Forums Forum Index PSPRadio Forums
PSPRadio Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Complete battery failure, PSPRadio responsible?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PSPRadio Forums Forum Index -> Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zmcnulty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Complete battery failure, PSPRadio responsible? Reply with quote

I understand you can't recharge your PSP while using WiFi. This is a hardware limitation of the PSP itself. But is it possible for the WiFi's "on" state to become frozen by software, such as PSPRadio?

I recently had some problems with my battery. I described them on my site's forums with the following post:

Quote:
As I sit here tonight typing this post, my PSP is currently just a "Playstation." It lost its portability, because my battery (or PSP) seems to be having some problems.

Yesterday, I noticed some rather odd behavior. I had it plugged into the wall all day, yet when I turned it on, my battery indicator was missing a bar. Fair enough, I thought, and looked at the Battery Information display. 86%, "Charging Complete." Well that's odd, I thought.

Today, I was in the same situation. But this time it said 26% (I've been using my PSP on the battery since now and then, so it's no surprise that the number decreased). I plugged in my PSP, and it doesn't recharge. No orange LED.

At the advice of some other posters on this forum, I fully discharged the battery tonight. 0%. My PSP turned itself off.

I plug it into the wall. No orange LED. Battery Information screen...0%. "Charging Complete."

Great. I've let it sit just plugged into the wall for about 30 minutes just to see if it's something stupid like my orange LED just being broken. But it still shows "0%" and that I have 9 minutes of battery time remaining.

So what do you think? Any advice? Is this a problem with my PSP, or the battery?

I was under the impression that my battery was completely useless. Sad

But this morning, things seem to have taken a turn for the better. I launched PSPRadio again, and instead of exiting the program, I just put my PSP into sleep mode while PSPRadio was running and playing a stream. Success! My PSP is now recharging.

So this got me thinking: was my battery problem related to PSPRadio? In my history with PSPRadio, I've noticed it has few problems actually exiting the software. But the problems with exiting the software only occur if I have stopped my stream, or PSPRadio locks up otherwise (like a SocketError, or something along those lines).

Would this make sense? Because PSPRadio uses WiFi, and you can't recharge while using WiFi, does forcing PSPRadio to exit (by turning my PSP off, or just waiting for it to shutdown automatically after like 3 minutes of sitting at the "Please wait..." screen) cause the WiFi to be in a permanent state of "in use," causing the battery to never actually recharge? Is it possible that the WiFi registers as "in use," although the green LED isn't lit?

I'm using "Graphical" interface with the .36-pre2, though this issue seems to cross the lines of versions. I've only upgraded to .36 since last night, and this issue seems to still be present.
sandberg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi zmcnulty,

I'm sorry to hear about your PSP and the battery problem. But I'm quite sure that it is not related to using PSPRadio. There is nothing permanent written to flash or anything, which should cause the wifi state to be "always on". At least in PSPRadio.

Although, there are other people who've had problems with networkings etc. after having experienced resets etc. But this is from all applications, so there might be something hanging in the PSP when not being shut down properly. So one thing you could try to do, is reset your PSP to factory settings (Settings->System Settings->Restore Default Settings). This has helped other people to recover from strange behaviour of the PSP.

Please let me know if this works.
IceMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem: connecting the external 5V PSU the battery would not recharge (no amber light) but the PSP would work. This happened after a full recharge after having used PSPRadio (but this doesn't mean it is the culprit). It charged fully, then turned off and after having used PSPRadio for some time, I reconnected and it wouldn't recharge. The solution was to disconnected the charger, remove the battery and connect the charge without the battery. Then I turned the PSP off again, removed the charger plug and put the battery back in and voilą, when I reconnected the charger the battery charged (amber light on).

Just for some background for who is interested: Packaged Lithium Ion cells contain their own regulator and end-of-charge circuit so the only thing the external power supply does is just feed the power, the battery circuit will decide when it is charged or not. Evidently the PSP has an additional circuit which can be software controlled as the WIFI circuit drains too much current for the charger to charge the battery and run the PSP. The wattage dissipation exceeds the design, and this is why Sony introduced this s/w interface for the charger. It is obvious to me that an incorrect WiFi handling may disable the charger setting it's state to disabled. I am not blaming PSPRadio, but it is worth while checking the WiFi status and charger circuit when this happens, if someone can do this (if they have the debugging tools). I am pretty sure the problem lies with this.

Additionally, moving the Wifi slider switch did not change the charge status - this is the first thing I tried. As I said, it is obvious that this state is controlled via software (a bit in a bitmask) that overrides any other status. Maybe, when once exits from the app and the PSP crashes, this status remains stuck and evidently the auto reboot doesn't fix this but a cold reset is needed.

Feel free to think this over and comment.
HalfastII

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great summary, I think you are on the mark on that.. As a side note not all Li-Poly have built in charge or over voltage protection. Most do as a result of attempting to become UL approved.

The circuit on the LI-Po does only 2 things.

1) prevents the voltage from exceding 4.2 volts per cell
2) prevents run away current, ensures a constant current constan voltage charge

Of cource the cells I use 4 Cell 14.8 v 2600mah packs have no over current of charge circuits because they could not handle the 50 amps I pull from the cells...

(RC Aircraft)

Back to the PSP USage. the reseting of the charge state bit in the PSP is best done as described above...

Native US 1.50 PSP Up & Down
1Gb Scandisk : 1 - 512Mb, 1 64mb and 2 - 32Mb Sony MS
13 UMD Movies and 14 UMD Games PSPRadio Baby!!

My wife has a small fortune invested Smile
sandberg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I'm sitting next to the guys implementing the energy management SW at my work, and you sound almost like them Smile

Anyway, I just checked the SDK for any functionality related to power control. There is nothing which control the charge switch directly, so it must be done internally somehow. You can check the power level of the batery and wheter the hold switch is on / off.

You can check if a charger is connected and if a battery is inserted. So we could check for these two conditions and then don't allow the wifi to be started. But that would ruin everything for people having their PSP mounted in one of the cradles with loudspeakers etc.

So my best solution for this, is that at some point PSPRadio get stable, so that it doesn't cause resets, and the problem is gone Smile .. Then some other early version of some homebrew gets blamed instead Laughing
IceMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfast you are correct - not all Li-Ion packs contain an overvoltage protection, but the ones that must be classified for home use in most CE countries must (due to the fact that they are handled by normal people and due to the fact that overvoltage of only .1V over 4.2 will eventually make the cell explode as Li-Ion packs are pressurized even if overpressure through venting is included). Also, undervoltage charge (<3.2V) is dangerous, so this is controlled together with undervoltage protection (<2.9V per cell is fatal for the cell).
Leaving the technical details behind, I believe it may be possible that the SDK may not offer 100% control over this - or - that some obscure bug exploited by the WiFi handling may put the charge control in an unhandled/stalled state when the PSP crashes. I think that this happens when one does not disable the Wifi Networking Prior to exiting the application, which then crashes the PSP. It is similar to a "bit stuck" problem - if you know what I mean - as if it tristates without a pullup. Since it happened to me, I have always disabled the Wifi Networking (via software) prior to exiting (crashing) and I never encountered the problem again.
BTW Halfast (slight digression - forgive me folks), I also am an RC enthusiast and mainly use LiPoly cells (Kokam, Thunder Power) and also am an ULM pilot! Our latest model is the 1/3rd scale Great Planes Matt Chapman Cap580 with a 100cc DA;)
HalfastII

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent Ya a PM...

Native US 1.50 PSP Up & Down
1Gb Scandisk : 1 - 512Mb, 1 64mb and 2 - 32Mb Sony MS
13 UMD Movies and 14 UMD Games PSPRadio Baby!!

My wife has a small fortune invested Smile
zmcnulty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceMan wrote:
I think that this happens when one does not disable the Wifi Networking Prior to exiting the application, which then crashes the PSP.

In my case, the problem wasn't caused by this. It happened (I think) because PSPRadio would freeze when I tried to exit it after stopping my stream.

If I use the home button to exit while the stream is still playing, for example, PSPRadio doesn't freeze, and my PSP recharges.
IceMan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to know. However, when I say stopping the stream, I mean also disabling the wifi by pressing the triangle button and moving the Wifi Network option to off (it then says Network disabled) then exiting the app - did you try this? If I do this, the PSP will recharge fine, but it will still crash when exiting.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PSPRadio Forums Forum Index -> Problem Reports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: